Saturday, December 01, 2007

I figure I can't go this whole semester and not offer some thoughts on dating during my free write. My audience is single and LDS in their twenties. These are things other girls and I have noticed in LDS dating situations.
  • I always find it interesting when guys become interested in a girl they were initially just friends with because all of a sudden, they start opening the door for her. This is a nice thing to do and also sends up some indication for the girl that their guy friend might be interested; although, girls might wonder, since it's a nice gesture to do in general, why not do it all the time . . . for everyone?
  • Guys that like to hit on girls randomly might need to know that if you hit on a girl randomly, there might be two responses or a mixture of the two. First is "This guy is really bold. I'm impressed." Second is "I bet this guy hits on all girls like this. Not my style."
  • Stay friends after you date even if it isn't working for the two of you. Hopefully you develop enough of a friendship during the relationship that you would want to stay friends with the person you date after the relationship is over. Granted, sometimes it isn't possible, but for the most part, if it was worth something then, then why not now?
  • If you're not interested, tell him or her, tactfully. It's much easier in the long run.
  • This is classic advice, "If that guy [or girl] isn't crazy about you, you need to be looking around."
  • Return phone calls, texts, messages, and emails. But it's only polite. (Granted no one is perfect, myself included.)
  • I think sometimes people get too wrapped up in the dating stage and treat it like it as a game, especially inexperienced daters. Basically it comes down to really caring about other people and treating them the way you would want to be treated in a similar situation. Be nice.
I'm sure I could go on, but I'll leave it there.

1 comment:

Kris and Kally said...

Love this! So true...all of it was so true!