Thursday, November 29, 2007

I thought the presentation about MMORPGs was fascinating. Probably because it is a whole new world to me. I can't believe that people would spend and upward of 1,600 dollars for a piece of virtual real estate--it doesn't exist folks. While I am still blown away by how people spend this much money on a concept that completely virtual (I had no idea how huge this on-line gaming business was!), I am trying to formulate an opinion on it.

My initial reaction is, "this obsession is retarded." However, I am going to try to see this from another perspective. Maybe it can be related to people who sup-up their cars. This might not be the perfect example because the objects are tangible, but I feel like there is a significant correlation. Some people spend tons of money on car parts that do little for their car's efficiency, little for its asthetic quality, little for anyone or anything besides the owner's satisfaction and maybe the other people who have the same perspective as the owner of this piece of machinery and can appreciate its significance. And yet this practice is much more widely accepted. Let's parellel this with people who belong to Second Life. These people gain a sense of importance as they own a piece of virtual land that benefits nothing besides their sense of happiness and the people that can appreciate the significance of this purchased piece of imaginary real estate. So in light of defending something I don't really believe is of any value I will try to formulate an enthymeme from the other perspective's side.

WATCO of Second Life on an individual's quality of life?

Enthymeme: Second Life increases an individual's quality of life because Second Life provides a sense of satisfaction for its consumer.

No comments: