Monday, October 12, 2009

Why I Live in the Coolest Apartment Ever:

  1. I live with nerds and love it! I just had a discussion with my roommate about Machiavelli, Machiavelli! (biographical name: Niccolò 1469–1527 Italian politician philosopher). Did this day really happen? Wow. I'm so happy right now. I LOVED studying Machiavelli in high school, although I completely disagree with his philosophies. I about died when he showed up on an episode of the Simpsons because I was so excited.

The question he poses in The Prince is, "Is it better to be loved than feared?" He concludes that it's better to be feared. People will more readily fight for you if they fear you than if they love you. But is that really so? Food for thought.

As you can tell, I am also a nerd.

7 comments:

Chantalita said...

Would I rather be loved or feared? You ask? Both, I want people to be afraid of how much they love me!!

Got that one from The Office.

Wendy said...

Shakespeare makes several shout outs to Machiavelli, actually.

I like to rule our apartment with fear rather than love, and I think I'm doing pretty well. ;)

Unknown said...

Wendy, your reign of terror will soon end. Machiavelli taught me strategies of war. I have learned that when conquering a territory I must keep the current laws and institutions in place but eliminate all the family of the defeated prince. (Ignore the sexist language; this still applies to you even though you are female. Watch out Wittwers.)

So, in taking your place, I shall continue to require that one of my roommates does my laundry and everyone calls me Master Grinks. Additionally I will institute the annual watching of The Scarlet Pimpernel (imagine that this title is italicized) to please the masses.

Wendy said...

Please. The Wittwer family is like a hydra--you can chop off one head, but we'll just keep growing more and freaking the crap out of all the little kids who thought they were just going to enjoy a few innocuous laughs when they sat down to view the hit Disney film Hercules.

Wait. What were we talking about?

See, I find distraction is a much more useful tool in world/apartment domination than fear or love.

abassett said...

What I say is this: Machiavelli has double letters in his last name. I also have double letters in my last name. We are both also from Italy. Except me. So, you are both wrong - I will be ruling soon. And there you go.

Wendy said...

Ahem? WiTTwer?

Tim the Monkey. said...

Well Well Well! Chantal stole the quote that I was about to put up here. Everybody knows that I used that quote, just check out my Facebook profile. Infact I was the one who shared that quote with Chantal in the first place! I mean stealing a quote that I had stolen! How low can you get than being a quote stealer?!! I'm very disappointed Chantal