Monday, October 05, 2009

You Are Wrong.

If I had a dollar for every time I was told I was happy, I, well, wouldn't be rich—that'd be a gross overexaggeration—but if I invested that money in some sweet-action stocks and bonds, I would be wealthy. Well, I'm not always clouds and butterflies. I do have a list, and I'm going to share some of it with you—except for number one, which if you can guess, I will tell you, but I won't volunteer it. Things that annoy/scare me: listed as follows.
  • Hair. When it's in food, it makes me gag. Yes, full on dry heave. I can't control it. Connection: tramatic experience in first grade.
  • Bikers: When they get too close to me on the side walk, and they're going too fast (anything over two miles an hour), I panic. My heart beats an extra twenty-five beats per minute. Connection: bike accident.
  • Big Dogs: When they run at me, it scares me, and I'm grossed out when they lick me on my face, hand, arm, leg, or foot. Connection: bitten by a dog when I was five.
  • Vine-Dresser's Son Syndrome: If you're not going to do it, don't tell me you will, unless you have a really good excuse—in which case, I will gladly excuse you. Bottom line: Don't say you're going to do it if you're not. Connection: generally revolves around boys I like. Nothing kills interest faster.
  • Cat Haters: Yes, people who hate cats. You know who you are. Why you hate these cute, beautiful, elegant creatures is beyond me. The only thing I don't like about them is they make me sneeze. Connection: 'nough said.
  • Being Late: I know you would never guess that, and you are thinking to yourself, "if she hates being late, why is she always late?" Numbers are not my friends, people. Connection: a frustrating daily occurrence. I'm done with trying to find connections to these points.
  • My Memory: I have the worst memory of anyone I know. Don't worry that one time I was introducing one of my guy friends—who I had known for three years—I completely forgot his name, and he noticed. What's more embarrassing than that? It will make me feel better if you can come up with something.
  • Being Cold: I don't know how this made it to the end of the list, but it's the worst thing I can experience. When it's coupled with being tired and cold, it's even worse. Please never see me in this state. I guess there are times, though, when I'm fine with it, like the polar bear plunge or water skiing in forty degree water. I only did these activities because they were so random; how could I not?
Okay, that's good enough for now. And actually, I didn't really like writing that list. I need some counteraction (noun: to make ineffective or restrain or neutralize the usually ill effects of by means of an opposite force, action, or influence). Here's a little bit of the happy list, and you'll have to do without explanations.
  • I love silent dance parties! They are my new favorite thing. Nothing is more hilarious than my roommate calling for a silent dance party when my other roommate is sleeping and we can't make noise. I have never seen, experienced, nor created crazier dance moves. So random, so spontaneous, and so fun. You should try it.
  • Small planes flying overhead have got to be one of my favorite things ever. I can't help but relax when I hear them.
  • Cut grass in the spring. Summer's coming! Summer's coming!
  • My roommates' hilarious banter and esoteric references to works of art. When else in my life have I ever heard someone run down a hall to open the door while quoting great poetry of the eighteenth century?
  • Daydreaming about traveling. My heart, and I'm not joking about this, skips beats, and, when I'm really excited, I can't breath at times. Isn't that what love's supposed to be like? Sometimes I feel like that song "Brandi, you're a fine girl." I'm trying, relatively, to get over it. I think there's a reason why I don't have money: I'd never settle down.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm on both lists. Does that mean you're neutral about me?

Adam said...

I like cats too, but I think in terms of seasons and temperature I'm the, ahem, polar opposite.

Rather than enjoying the first cut grass, I love that first morning in autumn when I can see my breath.

Melanie said...

Oh.my.goodness. I totally and completely agree with your last dislike item. Between October and April my whole life revolves around me not being cold (which, when you get cold at anything below 78 degrees, is quite a task).

abassett said...

I hate cats and love silent dance parties. What now, Grinks?