Wednesday, September 22, 2010

One thing I've learned about setting goals is when a goal isn't working, revamp it. To add to that, when one goal is getting in the way of another goal, choose to work on the more important one (is that an aphorism?). I realized last night that my blog goal was actually taking away from my study time and sleep, and I didn't even finish the post I wrote! I felt like I was working on an assignment that I was passing in late. Not cathartic and actually counterproductive? Yes.

I haven't given up my goal of memorizing ten words a day, but I'll be remembering them with a different technique. And I'll still be getting up at 6:00 a.m. . . . wish me a good score!

Since I already wrote them out, here are yesterday's words:
  1. Paean—(n) a joyful song of triumph, a hymn of praise or tribute
  2. Evanescent—(adj) fleeting, tending to vanish; transient
  3. Abnegate—(v) to deny oneself, to give up something desired or valuable
  4. Imbroglio—(n) confused, complicated situation; entanglement
  5. Deleterious—(adj) damaging, hurtful; harmful
  6. Aphorism—(n) brief, often witty saying that states a truth
  7. Myrmidon—(n) one who follows orders unquestioningly
  8. Unctuous—(adj) oily, greasy, false and ingratiating
  9. Sedulous—(adj) busy, hardworking
  10. Salient—(adj) leaps out at you; conspicuous; sticks out; a salient point

No comments: