Sunday, June 19, 2011

Logic versus Emotion

Observation #152: It's nice when you make it through phase one of the post-break experience. It's the point where you realize you are going to be fine, and you feel like yourself again. Of course logically you knew all along you'd be fine, but your emotions kept putting your logic in checkmate every other move. 

Initially you think your emotions have nothing on your logic; that's the numb phase right after the break up. You think to yourself, "this is right, and I'm totally fine. I've dealt with this before, and I can do it again." For three or four days, you're fine. Then, bam, the game begins.

Initially your pawns are picked off, then your horse, then—worst of all—your queen. Finally you're down to a mangy (adjective: having many worn or bare spots) team of chess pieces. You're in pretty sad shape. Check. Block. Check. Block. Checkmate? Then you remember the best move—switching the king and the castle. After a small go, game over. Your logic wins, your emotions subside, and you are back.

Truth be told, that move is sincere prayer. I felt His healing power today. The Atonement is real.

No comments: