The Editor Unedited
Truth be told, one of the reasons I don't like writing is that I hate coming back and seeing mistakes I make. So I never publish; I only write, get frustrated about it, and then save drafts. No longer. You are going to get the raw writing. Good thing there are only eight or nine of you.
So there's nothing like a hard time to get you thinking about life again. We need hard times to grow; I need to grow. And it gives me something to blog about! Finally a little fodder—a break up. I feel like I'm thinking in manuscript style of A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis. I'm my own subject for observation, and I'm going to blog about it, but don't expect any juicy gossip.
Here's something I've noticed about break-ups: we focus too much on the hard things about breaking up, which are a reality—I hurt; however, I want to focus on some perks for a bit—and there are some perks:
Here's the ultimate perk that I will briefly introduce to you tonight: the I-just-broke-up card. The power of that card is amazing (combine it with the I'm-on-my-period card, and you have it made). I have calculated that for every month of dating, you should get two and a half weeks of post-relationship card use. So that means I get about two and a half months, and I plan to put it to good use.
For example, if my roommates ever ask me to cook asparagus, as they are often wont to do, I can say, "no, probably not; I'm just broken up." And if I make a sad face, there's no way they can make me! And the truth is, it never wears out, even when they know I'm pulling the card. How can anyone with a heart say no to that? I couldn't.
My roommates tried to put a cap on it already, but I told them that the card's powers are unlimited. They finally conceded (verb: to accept as true, valid, or accurate). (Do you like how I get away with picking out the definitions I want?) You can imagine, this is going to come in pretty handy. K, I'm out. Until next time.
Anchors in the Chaos: My Honest Monthly Habit Review
3 months ago
5 comments:
The We-Just-Got-Married card also works brilliantly. It gives an introvert like me carte blanche to be as much of a hermit as I choose.
But honestly, your asparagus is brilliant.
Nice to see you back. :) I like your idea...use it up while you can! And I love how your example is your roommates wanting you to cook asparagus. A glimpse into your skillz that I never knew!
PS The geographical gap between us is about to shrink considerably.
You're amazing. Seriously. And I'm so glad you're writing again, as I've missed it so!
Nice, Wendy! I can't wait to use that one. That's the ultimate trump card!
Tess, I have no mad skillz in that department, and that's why my roommates harass me about it. Are you moving here?? When! I want to hang out!
Shannon, I wish you were still here, but I know the move was right for you.
Post a Comment