Saturday, July 02, 2011

The Compression of Vulnerability

There's a concept in dietetics called the compression of morbidity. I've always loved this concept. It goes something like this: we're all going to die, so why not die quickly? Some elderly people suffer from seven to ten years—or longer—and then die, while others, who live healthier lives, compress their morbidity into six months to a year and a half. So live healthy and strong as long as you can and then rapid decline.

I was talking to God one day right after the breakup with this concept in mind. I told Him, "Heavenly Father, compress my vulnerability (noun: capable of being physically or emotionally wounded). If it's going to hurt, make it fast and furious, and get it over with." Last night, as I walked along the platform at Farragut North to meet up with friends, lost in contemplation, I thought to myself, "I love my life." I was so content and happy again. I'm back, and my vulnerability has been compressed. Stage two of the breakup process, done.

1 comment:

abassett said...

Loved this idea. Good call.