Monday, June 27, 2011

How to Survive a Breakup

I'm not an expert on breaking up, but I have a little bit of experience. I think this is number eight officially and number who knows what unofficially, so here's my advice:
 
  • Pray, pray, pray. There is nothing more important than communicating with the Lord and asking for very, very specific help. And He will help. Also, don't forget to pray for the other person too! They need just as much help as you do. And be altruistic about it.
  • Fast. Just like prayer, this has helped me leaps and bounds. Be specific.
  • Read scriptures and conference talks about doing the Lord's will and bearing trials. It helps put and keep things in an eternal perspective. Especially the conference talk http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/all-things-work-together-for-good?lang=eng&query=%22all+things+work+together+for+good%22
  • Be mature. In more recent breakups, I haven't had this problem, but initially it was easy to blame or be angry, but these are unhealthy thoughts and emotions. Be humble. Do everything you know how to do to be fair to that person because you care about them. 
  • Accept how that person feels and how you feel, and move on.
  • Keep yourself extremely busy—especially on Friday and Saturday nights, and make sure you don't see him on those nights, or you'll relapse for sure!
    • I dated a guy once who had been engaged before. The weekend of the wedding, he realized that it couldn't happen for legit reasons. So he called off the wedding the night before. He told me that what got him through it was staying as busy as possible. Always have something to do.
  • Clear your life of things that trigger thoughts about him. I know that's hard to do!—it really is because you care—but do it for your emotional health. You're going to have things that trigger thoughts no matter what, so minimize it. Erase the text messages and voice mails you saved (you know you do it, girls!).
  • Listen to Ingrid Michaelson. So that's just my thing, but find music you love, and listen to it a lot.
  • Dance like crazy in your room, and go dancing. I think it's one of the best ways to get emotional energy out, and it's fun to be with other people.
  • Exercise. This is another important catharsis (noun: a purification or purgation that brings about spiritual renewal or release from tension)
  • Let it hurt. When it hurts, put one foot in front of the other, and keep on going. You'll get through it; it's hard to realize while experiencing it, but pain is an emotion that compresses large lessons into short periods of time, so embrace the learning experience, and try to see it while it's happening.
  • Write it all in your journal. You are going to learn so much. Keep those lessons for yourself, and your children, because most likely they are going to go through something similar at one point or another, and you will be so sage if you can relate to them and give them exactly what they need because you've been through it.
  • Find out what your boundaries are and what you need in your support network, and ask your friends to help you in the specific areas you know you are weak. If you know it's about to happen, preemptively prepare them so they are ready right away. 
  • Keep talking to your closest friends and people you trust about it. Get feedback because often we are so myopic in our perspective.
  • Don't look at his Facebook page. When you realize you have the urge to know about him, exercise self control, and don't look for his car, don't look at his window, don't try to talk to his roommates about him, don't try to bump into him randomly, and don't try to find out about him through other people, don't communicate with him initially unless it really will help in the healing process for you or him. But if you do any of these things, don't get mad at yourself; just be stronger next time.
  • Don't blame the other person. Don't blame yourself. Trust that you tried your best, and pick yourself up, and move on.
  • Don't listen to melancholy music or love songs. Just don't.
  • Finally, remember, time heals most things—if you let it.
 

5 comments:

Chantalita said...

It helps in this case that he is a mature guy. I feel that always makes it easier to be altrustic and want the very best for him even if it didn't work out.

Best of luck my love! There are exes and there are exes. Therea are break-ups and there are break-ups, and they are not at all the same.

Unknown said...

It definitely does. He is mature, and I respect him for it. Thanks for the feedback.

I should be getting a new phone today, so hopefully I can call you again soon! I can't believe we've only been able to talk twice since the breakup. I think the Lord really wanted me to face things on my own.

Melanie said...

I definitely agree with the point about writing. Write about what was wrong with the relationship and what was right. Right everything you wish you could say to him but don't because you know it won't change things. I think writing is great because it allows you some time to wallow and dwell, but as soon as you've written all of your feelings out, you can burn or delete the page and then focus on something else. It's a cathartic experience.

Come and vent to/hang out with me any time!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Mel. I made some baklava today and want to bring you some for everything you've done for me anyway. I'll have to bring it by tomorrow or Thursday, though! You are fantastic.

abassett said...

Wait, first things first - you make Baklava?! I like this post because it goes through steps for any loss or disappointment. These comments apply to so much more than a break up. Nicely done, G.