Saturday, September 22, 2007

Before we walked into the health food bakery in Kent, Ohio, my companion told me I had to guess how old Maurice Drake was. The bells jangled as we walked through the front door of the bakery. The owner stepped out from the back of the bakery and introduced himself in a slightly raspy voice. Besides having an incredible presence about him, Maurice was a tall, built man, about six foot four inches. Under my estimation, regardless of the feeling I had that he hadn't had much sleep the night before, he looked like he was in top physical health. I couldn't find a wrinkle on his face; his skin looked firm and healthy. Twenty-nine was my first guess. Wrong, guess again. He couldn't be over thirty-five. Salzie laughed at my guess--wrong--Maurice Drake was in his fifties! I was in shock. What was his trick? Throughout this paper we will explore Maurice's health tactics and how they affect the body.

This introduction is aimed at an audience interested in health and beauty. The audience can be both male and female, even though it discusses a male example at the beginning. I would guess the audience would be a young adult to middle aged individual who is attracted to topics on physical health.

WATCO of consistent exercise and living a vegetarian lifestyle on the body?

My enthymeme for this introduction is: Living a vegetarian lifestyle complete with daily exercise strengthens the body's constitution against the expansion of incapacitating years because living a vegetarian lifestyle complete with daily exercise maintains muscles, increases the body's metabolic rate, and strengthens the body's immune system.

The implicit assumtion in this enthymeme is: Anything that maintains muscles, increases the body's metabolic rate, and strengthens the body's immune system, also strengthens the body's constitution against the expansion of incapacitating years. I feel like this implicit assumption is easy for the reader to agree with.

No comments: