I think we all have little topics we are intrigued by. For me it's stratification. Stratification has occupied my mind for four or five years. My earliest recollection of developing a deeper opinion on the topic dates back to when I was nineteen. I lived with an individual who thought differently than I did about how to assess the value of other people. In this mentality, an individual's value seemed to be based on a coordinating outfit, an expensive purse, money, cars, and physical beauty. Although I disagreed with the perspective that value could be assigned to someone on these factors, for the first time in my life I understood how someone else could come to the conclusion that value was based on something external to character. The more time I spent with my roommate, the more I saw into this paradigm. I had never seen into another vantage point with so much depth before. I began to understand this thought process, and yet I couldn't agree with it, and I still don't.
I'm not saying that what I think is law, but since this is my blog, here's my soap box on stratification (actually it's only a small portion of it). Let's love people on merits of character. Appreciate the paint, but leave the bulk of importance on the integrity of a structure. Here's my dating plug--guys, when you're on dates don't show off what you are going to do for work, whom you are related to, or how much money you have. Those factors shouldn't have any bearing on whether a girl would like you any more or any less than she naturally does. And why should it? If I were a guy, I wouldn't want a girl that would be impressed or unimpressed by insignificant factors. Hmmm . . . I could go on forever; that's all for tonight.
Anchors in the Chaos: My Honest Monthly Habit Review
3 months ago
3 comments:
I see your point, but it is based on your value system. I have noticed that people tend to judge other people's values based on their own value system. So if you value humor, then people are cool when they are funny. If you value riches, then people are cool when they are rich. If you value integrity, then people are cool if they have integrity. Here, you are asserting that you feel that your paradigm is better. However, if a guy was taking a girl on a date, and her value system were humor, and he was demonstrating his integrity, he would likely not win her heart.
Hey Chantal,
I see what you are saying. To defend my stance on the first point I will respond that yes I am asserting that my paradigm is better, hence my soapbox comment; I guess that's the fun of this blog--I get to write whatever I want. I'm not saying my opinion is law for everyone, but it is my law from what I've learned, and I'm sure I will assert it until my paradigm changes.
I will concede on your second point, however. I see what you are saying (that the approaches on dates depend on the two people's individual value systems). So I rescind my statement that guys should be a certain way on dates. I guess that advice only applies to people who have the same point of view as I do.
Post a Comment