Sunday, September 16, 2007

We have a swing on my porch. I never realized how happy it would make me until I finally tried it out. I love it! There is something to be said about meditating on a swing on your front porch. In the morning, after I drag myself out of bed at 5:45 AM, I come back from the gym, make a shake, and sit on the swing. I just sit there and observe the cars driving by and peacefulness of Ninth East before the craziness of the day starts.

This past Saturday, I was sitting on the porch, doing some homework, when Sarah comes up and sits next to me. We started talking about the things we love, pretty much the little things of life. I whipped out my typical love: the smell of the first fresh-cut grass of spring season. I can't say that the fresh cut grass smell is number one, I'm much too analytical to ever find an official spot for the smell, but it's pretty close to number one. How thrilling is it to smell the cut grass and realize warm weather and sun are on the horizon?

The other experience I love, but unfortunately haven't had the chance to experience for a while, is complicated to describe but well worth the description. When I used to be able to run, I would always try to find new running routes just for a new experience. When I get outside in the morning, it's pretty cold, and the sun is still behind the mountains. As the Sun starts to rise, and before it comes over the mountain, the sunbeams stream through the valley behind the temple. It's breath taking. The experience of being out in the morning while it is still serene is tied in with the beauty of the sight. It's another moment of meditation when the world is still, and you can think unfettered from distractions. I love the little things.

3 comments:

Chantalita said...

I love the sound of the ocean in Nantucket. I love the sound of church bells. I love warm, humid evenings, green trees and windy roads. I love those conversations where you leave so fulfilled, so at peace, and so full of love for the person you just finished talking with. I love finding friends I know I will keep for a life time, perhaps forever. I love calls from old friends, inspiring people, boats, road trips, and to know that I am loved.

Unknown said...

Yesterday I added the sound of small airplanes to my list. It reminds me of lazy, relaxing days on Nantucket beaches.

Chantalita said...

Small, airplanes, how very random, but knowing Nantucket as I do, I completely understand. It is amazing how everything that reminds me of Nantucket goes on the list of things I love.

Colette wrote me a note when I moved from Salt Lake listing things she loved about me. One thing on the list is that I can understand her love for Nantucket. Ditto. As one of my favorite quotes goes, 'man if you can't feel it, you'll never know.'