Sunday, September 30, 2007

I'm feeling sick today and am trying to argue myself into exercising tomorrow morning. The argument to myself starts off with WATCO not exercising tomorrow morning? I am trying to convince myself that: By not exercising tomorrow morning I will develop a habit of not exercising in the morning because by not exercising tomorrow morning I will subconsciously breakdown my willpower to get out of bed in the morning to exercise. I think this is fair to conclude: anything that subconsciously breaks down my willpower to get out of bed in the morning to exercise also develops a habit of not exercising in the morning.

I continue to argue this point with myself as I cite all of the times I have let habits break in the past; it always starts with one time. I think my argument to myself has plenty of ethos--I know all the times I have successfully broken habits. I also have some pathos in here; I don't want to disappoint myself by breaking under the desire to sleep in. This pathos involves guilt: I will feel guilty if I sleep in and start to break down this great habit. The logos in this argument is that it makes sense that in order to break a habit you must start somewhere small--one day at a time . . . tomorrow will only tell what will actually happen. Hopefully my enthymeme and argument will be strong enough to get me out of bed when I don't want to get up.

No comments: