In the University forum today with Chief Justice Roberts, I was impressed with how aware he was of his audience. He started his speech by making a joke about not making lawyer jokes to mixed audiences; the lawyers don't find them funny, and the non-lawyers think they're true. Then the Chief Justice weaved various references to prior devotionals at BYU; experiences with members he had had during his law profession; and historical vignettes about experiences with the Mormon people. He referenced President and Sister Samuelson's devotional about the importance of the constitution. He talked about his experience arguing in front of the supreme court against Rex Lee (and loosing 9-0; ouch, that left an impression).
Although I tried to muster all of the interest I possibly could in his topic--the workings of the constitution, and its amendments--I wasn't sucked in by his speech. Regardless of how enrapt I was by his subject, he presented well his topic to his audience. His tone stayed the same throughout his presentation. It was more formal, but not so formal that I felt a disconnect with him as a person. He also remained consistent with his stance. He addressed the topic in the same light throughout his speech. He embellished his stance by adding that not only did he love the Constitution but he especially loved the third article (the article which talks about the importance of the Supreme Court . . . in a way he was being facetious). Good job Chief Justice Roberts.
Anchors in the Chaos: My Honest Monthly Habit Review
5 months ago
1 comment:
I'll really have to listen to it. He was quite dynamic when he was getting grilled by the Senate. I can't say I've been too impressed with the few dissents of his that I have read.
Points for him for knowing his audience. I am sure listening to arguments he knows that you've got to know your audience. Any lawyer worth their salt will know the history, position, and most likely swaying point of every member of the Supreme Court before they argue.
I do love the Constitution. I am a nerd that way. I keep learning new stuff about it. Like today, I was learning about international research. I never knew that treaties were binding in the U.S. and that they must be adopted by the advice and consent of the Senate. Pretty cool.
Post a Comment