After researching several articles on the guest worker program, I can honestly say I am torn. This doesn't help considering our enthymeme is due tomorrow. After reading some articles, I do believe that the cause of illegal immigration is our country's insatiable demand for labor. Looking at the supply and demand curve, we have a demand and illegal immigrants want to fill it. The truth is Americans would do any job that would pay them enough. Employers don't want to pay the wages Americans would demand. If employers were to hire American workers at the wages Americans would demand, our cost of living would sky rocket.
The business people are saying that it would benefit our economy to have cheap labor. Well how do we fill this cheap labor demand? We have a couple options: we can keep our illegal immigrant situation, or we can bring people in legally to work in the United States through legislation. So there are options for filling these demands but at what expense? On the other side of the issue, people ask, "will we be sacrificing our American principles to fill these demands?" I think it is possible that we will be. So the ultimate questions are--how much are we we willing to sacrifice for our economy?
Anchors in the Chaos: My Honest Monthly Habit Review
3 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment