Thursday, November 15, 2007

Based on my previous post and an idea for my next rhetorical analysis post, I will develop some enthymemes that I could use for my paper.

1. WATCO of media bias on American politic decisions?

A-term: Media bias
B-term: American political decisions

Enthymeme: The media bias hurts American political decisions because the media skewing the Iraq war hurts important decision-making points in Iraq.

Here I employ an A1 term.

A1-term: The media skewing the Iraq war
C-term: Important decision-making points in Iraq

I think I might have a difficult time proving this enthymeme. I would need to define media bias. As we've discussed in class, this would be difficult with out solid, peer-reviewed articles. I could always compare different articles from different papers about the war to show that there is a bias; unfortunately, it might be hard to find pro-war articles. It would also be hard to prove the effects of the A term on the B term because we only see the effects of decisions made. The effects of what hasn't been done is strictly hypothetical and extremely hard to prove. (I'm talking myself out of this enthymeme as I write this blog.) It would also be hard to prove that media is skewing the Iraq war. What sources would I use? I can't personally interview at a grass-roots level and the people I know who served there might not offer enough ethos for my audience to buy my argument (also they might think I could have made up the interview). I could, however, use international sources, but they would be newspapers and other sources that might not be considered reputable. I would also have to research specific decisions that were "hindered" (an objective term) by a media bias. It looks like I won't be doing this enthymeme.

No comments: