Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I've been brainstorming for the next paper we have to write, and I find my thoughts returning to a theme I've had on my mind for at least the past year--media and propaganda/media bias. This topic has been on my mind for the past year. One conversation that I had which really catalyzed my thoughts on the subject was with a friend of mine after watching V for Vendetta (edited version of course) last summer. It's about a futuristic tyrannical government in England . I was sharing my opinion about how the despotism represented in this movie could never happen in today's world; we've seen the holocaust; we're aware of how it developed; it can't happen again. He, who is pretty knowledgeable about history, was on the opposite side of my argument. He said he believed it can happen again very easily.

I have to admit I didn't believe him, even though he has a much more broad knowledge base than I do. I just couldn't buy how it could happen again when we were aware of it. It seemed like an anomaly. Now I am taking a Racial and Minority Relations class, and we are reading Modernity and the Holocaust by Zygmunt Bauman. The whole premise of this book is that the Holocaust isn't an anomaly; it could very likely happen again. It talks about the media and propaganda used during the Reich. It shows how media and propaganda can manipulate people into believing the most contorted messages. This is a topic I might want to research and present in my paper.

No comments: