Monday, November 05, 2007

Enthymeme:

United State’s public policies that do not limit job opportunities for illegal immigrants in the United States will not be strong enough to terminate illegal immigration because United State’s public policies that do not limit job opportunities for illegal immigrants in the United States do not provide strong enough incentive for illegal immigrants to stay out of the United States.

Implicit assumption: Whatever does not provide strong enough incentive for illegal immigrants to stay out of the United States also will not be strong enough to terminate illegal immigration.

The premise of this enthymeme is that no matter what barriers we put on illegal immigration, illegal immigrants will still come to the United States if the incentives are strong enough. While I agree with this enthymeme, I feel that it is too broad for a 1000-2000 word paper. I need to narrow my topic to something more manageable within that restriction.

Two potential audiences I could have for this enthymeme are (1) United States Congressmen in states with less concern for immigration. My purpose for directing my paper to this audience is based on the idea that they are probably the most borderline states because they are the least affected. (2) Borderline, potentially interested, and yet uninformed potential voters for the 2008 presidential election.

No comments: