Wednesday, October 03, 2012

"I Object."

There is one incredible story that made me laugh today. On first dates, my friend asks the following: "what's the worst thing you've ever done and not felt bad about it?" As I mulled over this question internally, I couldn't think of how I would respond if I were so uncomfortably subjected to this question. (I'm sure there's something, but no need to dig too deeply here.) Of course I turned the question on him, and lo and behold (interjection: used to express wonder or surprise), what an unexpected treasure!

A wedding objection: he stood up in the church, raised his arm showing he had something to say (since they skipped right over the part where they ask if there were any objections), and said, "Excuse me. I object." It wasn't because he was in love with the girl. (Too bad, right?) No, indeed. It was practical. Here was this twenty-four year old girl marrying a fifty plus year old man. Not for money, not for looks, and not for a good match. (This is what my friend says.) He just wanted to be sure she was sure at the very last moment. Everyone had tried to talk her out of it.

So he prepared. He watched all the romcoms he could find, bought a bangin' new suit (a man needs to look good at a major life experience like this), and prepped for the day. He quoted us his speech—with the caveat that it could have been much better executed (after hearing it, I'd have to agree). He gave four very practical reasons why they shouldn't wed and was then asked to sit down. He said it wasn't a pleasant experience. I can imagine . . .

Moral of the story: be careful who you invite to your wedding.

No comments: